Friday, September 7

An adventure in kid raising

For those of you that don't have boys (or boys like mine at least) you are very very lucky! My middle child, Robert, is just a little spit-fire. His new favorite word is "no." Oh yes and as you can imagine..it's just a blast to have him use it. I am all for updating your vocabulary but he could have never learned that word and I would be okay with it. The thing is he says it with such charm and personality, and of course always followed with a smile (cause he assumes that makes everything sooo much better). On top of loving his new word, no, he also has become quite the little terror lately. Purposely causing problems...or throwing things...hitting..biting..you know the fun stuff. My mom was nice enough to take me and the two youngest kids to breakfast the other morning. My sister was with as well..for this eventful gathering. Now the baby, AnnMarie, is a very good baby..doesn't cry for no reason..sits well and plays...but then there is her older brother...oh geez. We get seated in a booth and I have Robert on the side with me. He decides that he is going to talk to the lady sitting behind us (who is waiting for her party so kindly talks back with him)...I am trying to get him to sit down and be a good boy... he's refusing. He is taking the jelly little packets and the creamers and biting into them...I was only imagining one of them squirting open and flying across the table at my mom and sister (now that I think about it..it would have been pretty damn funny). It's time to feed AnnMarie so I have her sitting on the table giving her a bottle...and she knocks over a glass of water...everywhere...I get Robert to stand up..but he is refusing cause he wants to grab the ice cubes so he can eat them...there was water everywhere..and AnnMarie...continued happily eating. I give Robert two of his "people" to play with and a truck (thinking this will keep him entertained...yeah right). He does play for a bit...but decides to drop them under the table(oh and he was playing behind us and the lady thought he dropped a toy down her back)...and refuses to get them...also dropped his sippy cup down there...he thinks it's just hilarious that they are under there....and keep in mind its a tight booth..me, mom, and my sister...can't just squeeze under there. Sooo....the three of us are trying to get the toys and sippy cup with our feet. I can't even see most of them cause they are on my side...my sister is trying to guide me...we are all laughing...and as we get the pieces onto the table...Robert is taking them and throwing them over at mom(and by throwing I mean whipping them)...she is ducking and laughing..well...the laughing contributes to the throwing and Robert assumes we are liking the game he is playing so we are having a hard time getting him to stop. Finally...his fire deceases. At this point we are thinking..can we have the check now...breakfast is thankfully over..our bellies are full...Robert has had his fun (for now that is) ..and my mom and sister are thinking we are Never going to eat at a restaurant with you are your children again! Well....dealing with kids...in public always was an adventure...I am sure there are more fun times to come. Enjoy your coffee!

No comments: