Wednesday, September 19

Toys... to play with or not to play with?

Why....oh why do I have toys for my children? Why ...oh why do I have a special room just for their toys? Why..oh why do my damn children mess up their toy room and then NOT play in it? Why..oh why do my children like to play with their toys in the living room..and NOT the toy room? Why...oh why do I not just throw them all away? Why...cause I am a nice mommy (that is completely losing her mind) that's why!

Okay here's what Wikipedia says:
A toy is an object used in play. Toys are usually associated with children and pets, but it is not unusual for adult humans and some non-domesticated animals to play with toys(I mean seriously...they had to put that in there!). Many items are manufactured to serve as toys, but items produced for other purposes can also be used as toys. A child may pick up a household item and 'fly' it around pretending that it is an airplane, or an animal might play with a pine cone by batting at it, chasing it, and throwing it up in the air. Some toys are intended primarily as collector's items and are not to be played with.

The first line "A toy is an object used in PLAY!" A toy is not to be thrown out of the basket or bin that it is so nicely stored in....a toy is not to be stepped on...a toy is for your entertainment. My children obviously missed this memo. Toys are not just for messing up their special room...you actually can play with them..and then PUT THEM AWAY! I know..you might think that I am being a little harsh...my children are still little...but I am not. Those little heathens literally go in there...dump out the baskets and bin...pull out the draws..pull all the books off the shelves..and then their play time is over(and this is always right after mommy has spent her time cleaning it). I mean ...really...and then they have the nerve to not want to play in there anymore ...as Rose says "cause it's messy"..well DUH..you did it....I should just give them all away....or sell them....or just pack them up and hide them...but then again..that's a lot of work for me...and I am just not willing to give up my precious time of sitting at the computer for that.

Enjoy your coffee!

4 comments:

Brian o vretanos said...

I'm glad to see that definition. When my daughter was born, I bought her a colourful caterpillar. It made sounds, had letters and numbers on each segment, and I loved it! (I think she liked it too). However, on the label it had stuff about the "educational aims", things like encouraging shape recognition, etc. I thought "NO! It's a TOY! for PLAYING with!". One of both of us probably left it lying around for her mother to tidy away - you can't take pride in a tidy house unless you go to some trouble ;-)

Tracy Rambles On And On said...

I couldn't agree with you more on this one! I gave up my formal dining room so that my rotton children, who are truly lovely kids, could have a room just for their things.
Now their routine is wake up, empty the toy boxes by spreading the contents throughout the house, and then spending the day complaining that they're bored.
How is that fair to me?

Anonymous said...

Here lies the mystery of the universe. Anyone ever attending a young child's Christmas will have noted that "It's the box they liked the best!" Too many items... too much possibility... too many bins. I know they keep the room looking tidy to the adults, but the mystery of the box is too great a pull. I'd recommend a locking box, one that opens with effort beyond that of a two year old. Then, when a need to play cars, Barbie's or peoples arises... just that one box is opened. Imagination then truly takes over. My one exception is books. A child that holds a book several times each day will reap the rewards during their adult life. Besides - they make great bridges!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, fancy new blog design. LOOOOVE it!! And right before I read your post I was thinking I should go and clean up the toys. After all, I'm the one who took them out and threw them all over the living room for no apparant reason!