Wednesday, February 6

The money store

So recently my husband, Mr Jo, and I started taking a financial class. I was leary at first but I am really learning something from it and I really like it. It seems as the years go by we get more crazy with our money and aren't planning well for the future. This class really outlines the simple things that everyone should know and be practicing but aren't. It's very eye opening! There is a great deal of emphasis on teaching your kids the correct way to handle money so in turn you can change your family tree and they won't end up with the same situtations that you are in. My four year old, Rose, is not quite getting this money concept. She has chores (when I remember to tell her to do them) and she gets a certain dollar amount for them if they are finished. Lately when she asks for something I say well you are going to have to do some things around here and then earn the money so you can buy it yourself. She's not liking that idea to much. The other day she asks to go out to a restuarant. I say no I am sorry honey we can't today. To which she replies won't don't have any money right ( gee like I haven't said that before). Rose then says well where can we go to buy more money! Oh my...I about fell over...obviously she really doesn't get this whole money idea. Then today she says " I WANT THE NEW HANNAH MONTANA DVD!" First off I say we don't ask for things like that (or demand them) and second off if you save up your money you can buy it yourself. I tell her go clean up your room and I will give you some money for it and you can start saving for that dvd it will probably cost nineteen dollars. Rose replies...nineteen?!....how about five dollars instead? Well of course Rose let's just call up walmart and tell them that you have reduced the price of the dvd so it's more affordable to you! None the less...she didn't get her room picked up...she didn't get any money...and she's not going to get the Hannah Montant dvd anytime soon.
Enjoy your coffee!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to try this for Rose!! I can not believe the difference it's made in getting chores done and the piggy bank/saving feature helps keep them on track.

Because the kids love it so much, they keep me on track from being lazy about allowance, and chores.

Bean is only two but she loves watching the kids do it and has already started using it (even though she doesn't totally get it)

Pokey Puppy said...

OH how cute.. Its so fun.. well mostly anyway... to teach them about life. And good for you guys for going to the class.