Sunday, September 13

Oh the game of football...

Okay so we have arrived into football season. Let me just start by saying that it doesn't really please me....my husband on the other hand is thrilled...he gets his kicks from yelling at the tv (although not quite sure he knows that they can't hear him). When I was growing up my father must have not thought it valuable to teach me the importance of understanding the game of football. Then I met and fell in love with Mr. Jo...who is a sports fanatic. Especially I think of the game of football. This has a caused a problem for me....because I am so football stupid...and I am not kidding...I know what a touchdown is ....and that I am pretty sure is the extent of my knowledge. I even tried a few years ago to have him try and sit with me and watch games so i could try and understand (not sure why I would want to)....but let's just say it was unsuccessful and not only at that point was he yelling at the tv but at me! I thought I would look up the definition of this "football"....and see if it helped at all....so here it is....

foot·ball (fo̵otbôl′)

noun

    1. BRIT. soccer
    2. BRIT. Rugby (sense )
    3. in the U.S., a game played on a field that is 100 yards long, with 2 teams of 11 players and a goal at each end: the players may attempt to score a touchdown by running or passing the ball, kick a field goal, etc.
    4. Canadian football
  1. the oval, inflated, leather or rubber ball used in playing football in the U.S. or Canada
  2. any issue, problem, etc. that is passed about or shunted from one group to another a political football
Alright first off....1a and 1b ...whatever different country...don't care. Now onto 1c...that is what I am looking for. Now they make it sound sooo easy....you have a bunch of burly men running in tight uniforms on a long field...."attempting" to make scores ...by doing things with the ball. Well now that sounds pretty easy doesn't it. I have realized that however you start throwing words like "1st and 10", "sacks", "downs", "fumbles", "half backs", "defensive end"....and I am pretty much lost. Not to mention when I think I have an idea of what is going on ...the rules somehow get so much more complicated. Ugh and boy is that annoying! So now I just watch and sit quite...not really paying any attention but looking like I really know what is going on. If someone on my team...drops the ball...I say "oh man" at the tv every once and a while so it seems like I have a clue! I even sometimes will catch a few sports news on ESPN and pay attention. I will ride the coattails of one little piece of news for weeks if it makes me look like I know anything about the sport. Until Mr. Jo finally catches on and outs me! Guess I am just not one of those woman that loves to sit down with the boys and watch a good football game and don't think I am going to be anytime soon! I guess for my marriages sake I will no longer ask football questions...and leave all the game watching in this house to my husband! For future thought however...I am thinking it's going to have to be a necessity for my daughters to be taught by there daddy how this game works....so one day maybe just maybe they can teach their mommy!
Happy Football Season :)
Enjoy your coffee!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Sara I have tears running down my face....I havent laughed like that in day's for that I thank you..You sure are one of a kind...